Friday, May 11, 2012

Parent's Days

There are worse fates than not being born.

Parents' Days
copyright 2000 Patricia M. Shannon

On parents' days, there's much ado
by those whose parents loved them true;
but what of we whose hearts still break
from wounds which our own folks did make,
who from our lives all joy did take.

We did not ask for all that much,
a loving word, a caring touch,
to know that they were proud of us,
that we weren't just a useless cuss,
an ugly blemish filled with pus.

We must not forget the pain
of being held in such disdain,
for it can help us understand
those who still in darkness stand,
and whom the world as evil brand.

If we have children of our own
we must not be our parents' clone;
we need not reap what they did sow,
for we can choose which way to go,
to copy them, or flower and grow.

It was the love my grandma gave
who from the dark my soul did save;
without the strength she gave to me,
I hate to think what I might be;
she means so very much to me.

..

No comments:

Post a Comment