Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Nine in ten recovered COVID-19 patients experience side-effects - study


Death rates don't tell the whole story of the toll of Covid-19.

Since I was sick last spring, I've been having some days where I'm really tired. It seems to me that they have been coming farther apart, which I hope continues.  I don't know what I had.  I saw from friends comments on Facebook that something was going around.  I was was going to get a Covid test while I was sick, but had a flat tire on the way, and didn't want to spread around whatever I had while getting a new tire, and didn't feel the effort was worth it.  I have been much sicker, worse problem was the fatigue, but of course the uncertainty of whether I had something that would turn into something more serious was stressful.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-southkorea-study/nine-in-ten-recovered-covid-19-patients-experience-side-effects-study-idINKBN26K1GC

By Sangmi Cha

September 29, 20205:10 AM

Nine in ten coronavirus patients reported experiencing side-effects such as fatigue, psychological after-effects and loss of smell and taste after they recovered from the disease, according to a preliminary study by South Korea.

The research comes as the global death toll from COVID-19 passed 1 million on Tuesday, a grim milestone in a pandemic that has devastated the global economy, overloaded health systems and changed the way people live.

In an online survey of 965 recovered COVID-19 patients, 879 people or 91.1% responded they were suffering at least one side-effect from the disease, the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) official Kwon Jun-wook told a briefing.

Fatigue was the most common side-effect with 26.2% reading, followed by difficulty in concentration which had 24.6%, Kwon said.

Other after-effects included psychological or mental side-effects and loss of taste or smell.


•••••


No comments:

Post a Comment