Tuesday, October 25, 2011

NPR dumps opera show over D.C. protest

This is crazy. It's an opera show, not a news program.

Some of NPR's reasons that listeners should donate to them are really farcical. Eg., this morning, they mentioned a program they did on why some people don't believe in global warming' it was because of lack of information. Of course, they didn't mention that NPR had a blackout for years on any mention of global warming or negative effects from warm weather. They only started mentioning it after their oil company sponsors finally admitted that man-made global warming is real, although some continue to fund denialist organizations.
Also this morning, WABE, a local NPR radio station touted "growing local coverage". I have heard little if anything on WABE about Occupy Atlanta.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-20124068/npr-dumps-opera-show-over-dc-protest/

October 21, 2011 9:02 PM
(AP)

WASHINGTON - NPR will no longer distribute the affiliate-produced program "World of Opera" to about 60 stations across the country because the show host helped organize an ongoing Washington protest, a network official said Friday evening.

Instead, North Carolina-based classical music station WDAV, which produces the show, said it will distribute the nationally syndicated program on its own beginning Nov. 11. The station said it plans to keep Lisa Simeone as host and has said her involvement in a political protest does not affect her job as a music program host.

[...]


http://warisacrime.org/content/npr-gets-producer-fired-occupying

[...]

Simeone told me: "I find it puzzling that NPR objects to my exercising my rights as an American citizen -- the right to free speech, the right to peaceable assembly -- on my own time in my own life. I'm not an NPR employee. I'm a freelancer. NPR doesn't pay me. I'm also not a news reporter. I don't cover politics. I've never brought a whiff of my political activities into the work I've done for NPR World of Opera. What is NPR afraid I'll do -- insert a seditious comment into a synopsis of Madame Butterfly?

"This sudden concern with my political activities is also surprising in light of the fact that Mara Liaason reports on politics for NPR yet appears as a commentator on FoxTV, Scott Simon hosts an NPR news show yet writes political op-eds for national newspapers, Cokie Roberts reports on politics for NPR yet accepts large speaking fees from businesses. Does NPR also send out 'Communications Alerts' about their activities?"

[...]

=============================================================

[From my observation, I believe that Cokie Roberts is certainly Republican.]

..

No comments:

Post a Comment