Sunday, August 09, 2020

Nurse loses leg after she ignored pain to care for COVID patients


https://news.yahoo.com/nurse-loses-leg-she-ignored-160948568.html

 

 Sophie Lewis
,CBS News•August 8, 2020


For weeks, frontline nurse Sette Buenaventura ignored the pain in her leg in order to focus on caring for coronavirus patients. But, doctors eventually discovered a tumor, and now, her leg has been amputated. 

Buenaventura, a 26-year-old nurse at Salford Royal Hospital in Greater Manchester, told BBC News that she ignored a cramp in her right calf for two months while working on the virus frontlines. The pain made it difficult to walk, but Buenaventura assumed it was just a side effect of the long hours spent on her feet at the hospital.




•••••

She urged people to learn from her mistake and take their pain seriously. 

"I think it's really important for anyone with a lingering pain to go and get it checked out," she said. "If I had caught this sooner, I would probably be in a different position now."

 

 

3 comments:

Osmiumlogic said...

I too was diagnosed with a malignant peripheral nerve tumor in my leg in 2011. My tumor was in my thigh and much, much larger than the nurse’s tumor—larger than a softball. However, the surgeon was able to save my leg by performing what is known as “nerve sparing” when my sarcoma was removed. I wonder why this wasn’t an option for the British nurse.

Osmiumlogic said...

I too ignored severe leg pain. It eventually waned and I waited years to get checked. Then doctors p found a very large (bigger than a softball) malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor in my thigh. However, the surgeon was able to save my leg by removing the entire vastus medialis muscle and performing a “nerve sparing” procedure when the sarcoma was removed. I wonder why this wasn’t an option for the British nurse?

Patricia said...

I'm glad your operation was such a success. Maybe the nurses' tumor was placed differently?

Post a Comment