Sunday, June 16, 2013

Take care of our children's future

from Facebook site of Sustainability the Musical
https://www.facebook.com/SustainabilitytheMusical?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

If my father were still alive for this father's day, he'd be 96. Considering he died just before my eleventh birthday, it's surprising that he comes to mind so readily, but he was an enormous influence on me, firmly planting the seed of a lifelong love of learning that lies at the core of my self identity. Being a father myself, I have to say that being a dad is far and away the most challenging and rewarding thing I've done in this lifetime, and I wouldn't trade it for anything, even the power to fly or other wacky stuff like that. Not wanting to beat a dead horse by writing here what everyone who knows me expects, but the fact that I take being a dad seriously lies at the root of my constant activism as well. Can we please get more parents to recognize that if we don't tackle climate change and other ecological catastrophes we are creating for ourselves, nothing that we might want to imagine for our children's futures is going to matter? The only regret I have as a parent at all is that I've failed to turn millions of other parents on to the simple idea that if we love our children, we owe them a future with, well, a future in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment