Thursday, March 19, 2020

Scam to record you saying "yes"


I suspect someone tried to use this phone scam on me earlier this week. I screen calls thru my answering machine. A woman was leaving a message asking about something I had for sale, so I answered the phone to let her know she had the wrong number. When I answered and started telling her she had the wrong number, I didn't have anything for sale, she talked over me, repeating the same sentence about calling about something for sale. Then she started saying "hello" over and over. I knew not to say "yes", I asked a couple of times "can you hear me", then hung up.

https://www.fcc.gov/scam-glossary

"Can You Hear Me" Scam

Scammers open by asking a yes-or-no question, such as: "Can you hear me?" or "Is this X?" Their goal is to record you saying "yes" in response. They then may use that recording to authorize charges over the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment