Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Being informed.


The news business is important for the functioning of our democracy, but it is important to read and/or listen to a variety of sources. Headline writers not reflecting the information in the article is especially common. I have seen headlines that directly contradicted what was in the article. And some people only pay attention to the headlines. When I was in graduate school, I saw a fellow student looking at the headlines showing in the window of the newspaper vending machine. (Shows how long ago I got my M.A. in mathematics :) ) She said she only had time to read the headlines.

I see too many people on Facebook sharing links with inflammatory headlines which do not even reflect what is in the article, much less reality.

Of course, the news media are humans, so the articles themselves can omit important facts, sometimes have false facts. Some outlets are more prone to this than others. And the rush to have the latest news can cause accidental reporting that is not factual.

No comments:

Post a Comment