Thursday, May 29, 2014

How a Singer Got His Way to the Top

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/05/26/rawcus

Monday, May 26, 2014
by Nina Ulloa

The following comes from Rawcus, an anonymous rapper who has recently gone viral.

How and why I created a Rawcus:

The Rawcus idea was built from years of struggle.

I’m a mid level artist with a decent sized fan base of around 10,000 people. Not being able to grow as an independent artist became frustrating. I could make around $4 thousand by releasing an album, but how do I live and tour off of that?

I learned that talent is only a small piece of what makes a mainstream artist. I learned I had to play the game to win the game in the music business. I couldn’t write intellectually stimulating music that is emotional and thought provoking. I couldn’t make music with real instruments. There is no fighting it.

When you are a poor, broke artist, shit out of luck… You realize you have to do whatever it takes if you want that dream to happen.

I didn’t want to sell out and conform in my artistry because it would alienate my hard earned fan base. So, I decided to create another artist, tailor-made to fit today’s culture with mainstream appeal.

I created the Rawcus brand, decided his niche, image, and mystery.

I put this guy together from scratch, like a Mr. Potato Head that makes music.

It was really easy. All I had to do was be melodic while rapping about money, girls, clubs, drugs, and making fun of white people. In reality, I am the complete antithesis of what Rawcus is.

I predicted that if I dumbed it down and conformed with my songwriting, talent, and understanding of today’s society, I could be an overnight success. Guess what happened next…

I released the “White People Crazy” music video on January 10th 2014.

Within 4 days I was on TMZ Live, MSNBC, BuzzFeed, Huffington Post, Gawker, Slate, CollegeHumor, Complex, Vanyaland, The Daily Dot, TV Guide, Bossip, and more.

-----

No comments:

Post a Comment