Friday, January 17, 2014

Net Neutrality

I've thought that it was reasonable that people who use a lot of bandwidth should pay more. Why should I have to pay for people who download a bunch of video, often priated.

Now that Facebook is forcing the use of more bandwidth by not allowing us to prevent unneeded images from loading with a link, I am re-considering my position. The last few days, even when I check the box indicating not to display an image with a link, it displays anyway. I try to avoid displaying images which don't add value to the message, as they use up bandwidth and slow down my internet. And now at the same time, a lot of things I want to share have the message attached to a picture, so to get one you have to get another.

And interesting coincidence that this forcing us to used more bandwidth is happening at the same time internet providers are pushing to be able to charge people more if they use more bandwidth. I have lived long enough to know that it might not be coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment