Wednesday, July 12, 2006

unexplained symptoms

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060712175825.htm
"Treatment Developed For Patients With Medically Unexplained Symptoms"


"Smith and his colleagues devised the treatment plan which involves a combination of behavior modification and pharmaceutical treatment, as well as a good dose of improved communication between patient and doctor. "


There is merit in this approach. But just because someone has a symptom that their doctor can't explain doesn't mean it is unexplainable. Some years ago, I was feeling so bad for several years that I was sure I had a fatal disease. At least five different doctors did the standard blood tests, and told me I was in perfect health. When my leg gave way while shopping, so I almost fell to the floor, tests were finally done that showed my my asthma was causing my bronchial tubes to spasm 24 hours a day, so I wasn't getting enough oxygen. Luckily for me, I had a problem that proper medication was able to alleviate. But it is common for people with diseases such as multiple sclerosis to go undiagnosed for years. What is needed is for doctor's to have respect for their patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment