Friday, August 07, 2020

Why to wear a mask


Seen on Facebook:

Aug. 7, 2020


Why I Wear My Mask

Now that I have personally defeated the virus, I am no longer concerned that I might become infected or that I might infect others. But still I wear my mask.

I Wear My Mask in honor of my parent’s generation and the millions who died in World War II, having lined up in self-sacrifice, leaving jobs, homes, and family for the good of the nation. It is a very small thing I do to remind others that sacrificing a small freedom for our great nation is a matter of honor.

I Wear My Mask in honor of the hundreds of thousands of my brothers and sisters who died and were injured in the jungles of Vietnam, in the deserts of the Middle East, answering the call to arms, giving of their lives, comforts and freedom. It is a very small thing I do to honor those who have sacrificed for the sake of our great nation.

I Wear My Mask in honor of those brave firefighters, police and other heroes who charged into the burning towers on 9/11 to save others from the hellish inferno. It is a very small thing I do for the greater good.

I Wear My Mask for the children, for my family and friends, for the infirm who depend on others, for the less fortunate who must live in close quarters and who are at much greater risk. It is a minor inconvenience to protect them and their loved ones.

I Wear My Mask because giving up some freedom for the sake of others is what we have always done, whether it be a small act like opening a door for your disabled neighbor or a heroic act of a first responder as he or she protects your life.

I Wear My Mask to remind me that the price of courage is the giving up of comforts and freedoms - from the soldier who leaves the safety of home, to those who give up better jobs or higher profits in order to serve, to the brave doctors and care providers, to all the essential frontline workers who put the good of others in front of personal safety every day.

I Wear My Mask so that America will not be left behind as other nations surpass us in the fight to tame this new enemy. Americans know how to win battles and do what is needed to defeat our enemies. We can do better - We Can Win.

I Wear My Mask recalling President Kennedy’s words, “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.”

I Wear My Mask, not out of fear, for I have been lucky and have defeated the virus. They say I cannot get it again or give it to others (at least for now). Rather, I wear my mask proudly, as a symbol of great and small sacrifices Americans have always made when times got tough, always willing to voluntarily set aside some personal comfort and some freedom to defeat any enemy that would threaten us.

I Wear My Mask because the time of indecision has ended. Decide now if you will continue to hide in the warmth of personal comfort, hide from the fight while holding up the white flag of surrender bearing the words “my personal freedom.” Decide now if, instead, you will refuse to surrender, if instead you will stand with the millions of men and women who, throughout our nation’s great history, did not run from the battle, did not walk away from the fight, but enlisted as soldiers in battles far and near to protect and serve.

Decide now if you will join the fight and stand with the legions of others who are now in the battle to defeat our new enemy. They need your help. Our country needs you.

I Wear My Mask for you. I wear my mask for country. I wear my mask.

______________________

L. Scott Karlin

Please Share

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment