Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I Am the Mountain

A song I wrote earlier this year for my musical "Cathy's Mountain," about efforts to save a mountain from being clear cut and subject to mountain top removal.

Even while I was writing it, the third verse was starting to become obsolete. Eventually the second verse will too, if we don't change our ways.

If anybody would like to help with funding or otherwise advancing the musical, please let me know.


I Am the Mountain
© copyright Patricia M. Shannon 2015

I am the Mountain, formed by collision
of tectonic plates that float on the earth.
Crushing together, crumpling upward,
thru eons of time, before humans came.

I am the Mountain, reaching toward heaven
teeming with many forms of life;
green verdant forests, meadows of wild flowers,
up high the rocky crags where mountain goats play.

I am the Mountain, all thru the winter
growing the snow cap,'til spring warms the air;
melting the water, filling the rivers,
sustaining life for the valleys below.

No comments:

Post a Comment