Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sleepy-time Blues

I'm posting this in honor of my great-nephew, Elliot.
Musically, I would describe this as jazzy, rather than blues.

Sleepy-Time Blues
copyright 2000 Patricia M. Shannon

I know my child has the sleepy-time blues
by her droopy eyes and her fretful cry;
she says she doesn't want to go to sleep,
so I hold her in my lap and sing a lullaby.

(Refrain)
Oh, those sleepy time blues,
yeah, yeah, yeah, those sleepy time blues.

There's so many things she wants to see,
so many things she wants to do,
she doesn't want to go to sleep,
might miss out on something new.

(refrain)

I wonder if she might be scared,
to be lying helpless there;
does she think someone might come along
and do her harm while she's unaware?

(refrain)

Now that she's grown and has a child,
she wishes she could take a nap,
she gets so sleepy after lunch,
but duty calls, and that is that.

(refrain)

No comments:

Post a Comment