Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Poll watcher vs poll worker

I was a poll watcher yesterday (Tues., Nov. 6, 2012).

I had a badge that said "Official Poll Watcher". I was sitting around most of the time with nothing to do. Some lady said she wished she could get a job as a poll watcher. I told her poll watchers don't get paid. I mentioned it a couple of other times in response to voter comments, then I was nicely told I wasn't supposed to talk directly to the voters. (A rule designed to keep poll watchers from trying to influence how people vote.)

A lot of people don't know what a poll watcher is.

Poll workers or poll officers are hired and paid by the elections board to run the elections. They set up the election area, sign you in, check that you are registered, give you your ballot, return the machines to the board of registrars, etc.

A poll watcher is an unpaid volunteer from a political party who watches to make sure voters are not being unlawfully denied the opportunity to vote. In Georgia, each political party can designate up to 2 poll watchers per precinct. Independent candidates can designate up to 1 poll watcher per precinct. Several times a day, I got the total number of votes cast on all the machines & texted it to headquarters. It was pretty boring, esp. because the poll manager at my precinct was very professional and fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment