Monday, May 14, 2012

Babies need cuddling

I saw something sad a few minutes ago. A young couple was shopping, with their baby in a stroller. They sat down at the table beside me. The baby was fussy, and they never touched her, much less picked her up. They fed her some dessert, and she had a bottle of milk. They seemed to feel affectionate to her, but had no clue that babies need attention and cuddling. I would have like to have said something helpful, but from experience, knew that no matter how nicely I tried, they would probably be mad at me if I did so.

I think this is an example of a fault in our education system. Children have to spend time learning about things like the names of ancient kings who fought each other, but they don't learn things they need to know in real life, like what babies need, how an economic system works, how food and other products are made and distributed, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment