Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Brain Responds Same to Acute and Chronic Sleep Loss

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100809161230.htm

ScienceDaily (Aug. 9, 2010) — Burning the candle at both ends for a week may take an even bigger toll than you thought.

Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison have found that five nights of restricted sleep--four hours a night--affect the brain in a way similar to that seen after acute total sleep deprivation.

The new study in rats, appearing in the current online edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, adds to the growing evidence scientists are accumulating about the negative effects of restricted sleep for both the brain and the body.

----- (skipping)

Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison have found that five nights of restricted sleep--four hours a night--affect the brain in a way similar to that seen after acute total sleep deprivation.

The new study in rats, appearing in the current online edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, adds to the growing evidence scientists are accumulating about the negative effects of restricted sleep for both the brain and the body.

..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well instead of rats maybe they need to study me!! I have suffered from S.D. for over 3 years. I sleep between 3-5 hrs. a night, get up at least 3 times, sometimes no sleep at all. I am severely disabled, canno0t eat solid food of any kind, am a chronic pain patient, have a morphine pump, live in a daily 10+ pain scale, have advanced RSD in legs, crushed sciatic nerve, sleep in a recliner at an 80 degree angle, cannot lie flat due to advanced scoliosis, so do I have enough reaqsons to suffer from S.D.??? Can I concentrate, no, do I make mistakes constantly, yes, do words come out of my mouth wrong, yes, I am bitchy, I hallucinate, I hear things, can I take anything no, I am allergic to 95% of any drug out there, so Dr.;s are literally afraid to give me anything, so it is deal w it!! Wish I could find a talk forum about this.
AnnMarie-beaderinachair google i.d.

Post a Comment