Saturday, January 23, 2010

A malfunction of evolution

A realization came to me a few minutes ago. I (and others) have long realized that evolution can lead to short-term success that breeds long-term failure. I realized that it could be seen in the short-term in a single organism, including a human, by considering cancer. When our cells divide, there will sometimes be mutations that cause a cell to become cancers. As the cancer cells continue to divide, they can develop additional mutations that make them immune to chemotherapy. They are more "successful" than normal cells, in the short term. However, eventually they kill so many of the normal cells, that the person dies, including the cancer cells.

Humans are a cancer of the earth.

I know I'm not the only one to see humans as a cancer/parasite/disease of the planet.
And I'm probably not the only person to see cancer as a small-scale example of this kind of back-firing evolutionary "success". Once I saw it, it seems so obvious.

I would say the same thing can happen with social evolution in society.

2 comments:

S Brennan said...

Patricia,

A Cancer doesn't have a brain. There are at the most 10,000 humans making deals to make the earth unlivable. Humans, properly motivated, are not cancer cells.

Go read the story of the Cathars, yes they were slaughtered by the millions by the Catholic church, nevertheless, they did no harm to this planet.

Patricia said...

I wasn't saying that all people are bad.
I was saying that evolution has made us smart enough, as a species, to be very successful in the short run, but not smart enough to keep us from being so destructive to nature that we imperil our own well-being.

Post a Comment