Sunday, May 24, 2009

Atlanta Driving

Atlanta Driving
copyright Patricia M. Shannon 2000

(chorus)
Driving on Atlanta's Highways
can make me feel I've gone to hell;
well, the reason is not hard to tell you,
pollutions killed off their brain cells.

When I'm driving the speed limit
the car behind me will pass and pull in front,
right away he'll start to slow down
because to turn is what he wants.

But if I signal, then I slow down
because a turn I have to make,
if he's behind me he will hold his horn down,
he thinks the world was only made for his own sake.

(chorus)

When I exit from the freeway,
the lane I choose has a straight exit on the road,
but when I get down to the intersection,
this lane will only turn the way that I don't want to go.

(spoken)
I can't believe it costs so much more
to paint a bent arrow than a straight one.
Sounds like a relationship with a man! :)
But then, the roads are built by men.
Men who apparently have financial investments in things like
ambulances and tow trucks a neck braces and gas stations.

(sung)
For many miles I've been in a straight-ahead lane,
with many miles before I get to my next turn,
when suddenly this lane is now an exit,
with no warning that I can discern.

(chorus)

When my road, merging with another,
puts me in the left lane, where I don't want to be,
the car behind will tailgate 'til a space comes,
then cut me off, so he can get in front of me.

(spoken)
What gets me, is that if he had let me take that space instead,
he would have got there a little sooner,
as well as saved a little gas
and created less air pollution.
Talking about cutting off your noise to spite your face!

(sung)
When I wait for a pededstrian,
or stop for a traffic light that's just turned red,
the car behind will start to honking,
are these people really so inbred?

(chorus)

No comments:

Post a Comment