Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Veteran GOP Sen. Specter switches parties

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30456741/

April 27: Only about 21 percent of Americans admit to being Republicans. MSNBC’s Ed Schultz and a political panel discuss how the number of people who believe in the GOP is smaller than the number of people who believe in ESP.

===============================

NBC News and news services
updated 1 minute ago

WASHINGTON - Veteran Republican Sen. Arlen Specter announced Tuesday that he is switching parties, a move would give Democrats a filibuster-proof 60 seats if Al Franken is seated in the Minnesota race.

"I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary," the Pennsylvania senator said in a statement.

"I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans," Specter said, adding that the "change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans."

In March, Specter issued a statement saying there is no way he would switch parties.

"To eliminate any doubt, I am a Republican, and I am running for reelection in 2010 as a Republican on the Republican ticket," he said at the time.

Considering the way the Republican party is acting and talking, it would be hard for any decent person to admit to being a Republican. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has wondered for a long time why Arlen Specter was still in the Republican party, other than a sense of loyalty, and the kind of inertia that causes us to stay in the wrong jobs for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment