Tuesday, September 15, 2020

People react better to both negative and positive events with more sleep


No surprise to me.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/uobc-prb091520.php

News Release 15-Sep-2020
University of British Columbia

New research from UBC finds that after a night of shorter sleep, people react more emotionally to stressful events the next day--and they don't find as much joy in the good things. The study, led by health psychologist Nancy Sin, looks at how sleep affects our reaction to both stressful and positive events in daily life. 


•••••



•••••


3 comments:

rjs said...

i find i have bad days following both too much or too little sleep...

Patricia said...

People can have too much sleep. But I have found that when I have been sleep deprived, I can feel worse when I first start catching up, before feeling much better than before. It seems like withdrawal from stress hormones, like withdrawal from stimulants, like caffeine. When I have been chronically sleep-deprived, it takes me about two weeks of sleeping more to feel really good.

rjs said...

at least i know what to expect when i've had too little or too much sleep; when sleep deprived, i know that i'm accident prone, and when online i'll often make a snide comment rather than what good judgement would advise me to hold my tongue...when i get too much sleep, it seems my brain turns to mush, such that calculations that i would normally think through clearly seem to temporarily faze me..

either way, i'm drinking a lot of coffee, so that probably accounts for some of my response...

Post a Comment