Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Merriam-Webster to revise racism definition after woman’s campaign


The purpose of this proposed new definition is itself racist. Then what would be the term for minorities who hate people because they are of a different race?
So then, in some African countries, only black Africans could be racist.
And in this country, people who are Hispanics and African-Americans who are prejudiced against the other group wouldn't be racist.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jun/11/merriam-webster-racism-definition-revise-kennedy-mitchum?fbclid=IwAR2trxlTxpgqT0KQQE89rXfIVTzExKVGkKMCZP6w0EVmCKjKdIQxOLfbBdA

Poppy Noor
Published on Thu 11 Jun 2020 15.39 EDT


Mitchum wrote to the dictionary asking it to update its definition. She said that people often use the dictionary definition of racism to argue that something is not racist, on the basis that racism requires a personal dislike of someone based on their race to be real.

In an email to Merriam-Webster, Mitchum wrote: “Racism is not only prejudice against a certain race due to the color of a person’s skin, as it states in your dictionary,. It is both prejudice combined with social and institutional power. It is a system of advantage based on skin color.”

The definition, which incorporates the idea that prejudice alone is not racism (rather, racism requires a system of institutional power behind it in order to function) was put forward by the sociologist Patricia Bidol in the 1970s.
The current definition in Merriam-Webster reads:

Definition of racism

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2a: a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

b: a political or social system founded on racism

3: racial prejudice or discrimination


•••••

===================================================================

Several years ago, when I was walking inside the perimeter, in Dekalb County, GA, I was crossing the street at a corner where I had the pedestrian crossing signal. I looked over, and the car which I thought was stopping was still moving. A young African-American was on her cell phone. I reflexively put up my arm toward the car, and she hit it and knocked me down before stopping. When I went over to talk to her, she never even stopped talking on her cell phone, just kept grinning.

So I called the police, who was African-American. She never got off her cell phone. He admitted she was on her cell phone. She claimed I had slapped her car and fallen down on the street, and he gave me a ticket!.

When I went to court, an African-American public defender who was there offered to represent me. She did her best, but the judge was African-American. She listened to the woman who knocked me down, and cut me and the defender off, and ruled against me. The defender looked embarassed.

So I had to pay a fine because an African-American ran a stop light and knocked me down. At that time I had pre-paid legal. When I talked to them, they said it wasn't worth suing the county because I wouldn't get enough to pay the legal bills. This was during a time when I was out of work, and paying any kind of fine was a true hardship. The only reason I could afford to get a legal opinion was that I still had the prepaid legal which I had gotten on my previous job.

No comments:

Post a Comment